Annual Report Finds Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Remains Largely White, Male

Harvard Square Celebrates Oktoberfest

Harvard Corporation Members Donated Big to Democrats in 2020 Elections

City Council Candidates Propose Strategies for Supporting Low-Income Residents at Virtual Forum

FAS Dean Gay Hopes to Update Affiliates on Ethnic Studies Search by Semester’s End

UNIVERSITY APPOINTS NEW FACULTY MEMBERS

Den Hartog Goes to Oxford, Southwell Comes Here as Exchange Lecturers In Applied Mechanics

Richard V. Southwell, professor of Engineering at Brasenose College, Oxford, has been appointed lecturer on Applied Mechanics at the Graduate School of Engineering for the first half-year of the 1938-39 academic year, the University announced today.

In exchange for Southwell, Jacob P. Den Hartog, associate professor of Applied Mechanics will lecture at Oxford during that half-year. At the same time leave of absence has been given to Hans Zinsser, Charles Wilder Professor of Bacteriology and Immunology, from March 1 to June 1, 1938 to go to the Peiping Medical College, while Mason Hammond, assistant professor of History and of Greek and Latin will study at the American Academy in Rome.

Announce Promotions

Members promoted and their new titles are: Kenneth T. Bainbridge, associate professor of Physics and tutor in the Division of Physical Sciences, from next September 1; Walter 1L, Piston, Jr., associate professor of Music, from next September 1.

William K. Chandler, assistant professor of English and tutor in the Division of Modern Languages, for three years from September 1; Louis C. Bier- wiler, curator of Botanical collections in the Botanical Museum from September 1, 1937.

Philip Hofer, curator of Printing and Graphic Arts in the College Library, from September 1; George H. Perkins, assistant professor of Architecture for three years from next September 1.

Appointments Made

New appointments for the current half year, include Richard G. Gettell, Amherst '33, instructor in Economics and tutor; Mikael J. Hvorslov, Technische Hochschule, Vienna '36, research fellow in Soil Mechanics; Gustav Burk '36, of Baltimore, assistant in Physics and Communication Engineering. For the first half of 1938-39, Lawrence C. S. Sickman '30, of Peiping, China, instructor in Fine Arts. For one year from next September 1 Milton C. Kloetzel, of Detroit, Michigan '37, instructor in Chemistry, and Evan C. Noonan, of New York City, instructor in Chemistry