A.F.L. WILL SET UP OWN INSIDE UNION TO COMBAT RIVAL

Organizer of Maids Commends Policy of University as Waitresses' Chief Complaints

By a step which will revolutionize present tactics of unionization and closely parallel the organization of the "inside" labor movement here, the American Federation of Labor today revealed that it will seek to set up a new unit, to be called the "University Service Employees Union."

Because Harvard is the first university on A. F. of L. labor lists, the new local will, in effect, become as "inside" as the Harvard Employees Representative Association, formed in January expressly to combat national organizations in labor fields within the College.

Will Help Membership

Claiming that the new unit will "make a big difference in membership," international organizer Robert H. Everitt said that the proposal will be presented to A. F. of L. maids and janitors in a meeting Wednesday night.

Since the University defined its impartiality in connection with labor drives by a printed statement available to all workers, ranks of the Building Service local 30 had increased 25 percent, its officers maintained last night.

Intimidation Over

Everitt sated that he had received a letter from Business Manager Durant permitting his committee to organize and distribute literature in the University and that "all intimidation on both sides has stopped definitely."

Meanwhile the other A. F. of L. group which holds sole bargaining rights for cooks and waitresses protested vigorously against the agitation of the "inside" union within its field and pooh-poohed their assertion that the Harvard association has 200 waitresses in its ranks.

Joseph Stefani, business manager and organizer for the unit, charged that heads of different departments are pushing the rival movement. Asserting too that "we are living up to our side of the agreement," he asked, "why doesn't the University stop it?"