CREWS TAKE TO RIVER IN EARLY TRIAL RUNS

Chace's Boat Leads Six Varsity Shells As Lightweights and Freshmen Also Start Outdoor Season

Varsity oarsmen launched six shells in the Charles yesterday afternoon for the first general practice session of the spring season.

Coach Tom Bolles' tentative first beat, which also tried a brief spin earlier during one of the temporary thaws, took an easy run down to the head of the basin, with Captain Spike Chace at stroke, John Clark 7,Doug Erickson 6, John Radway 5, John Senior 4, Dudley Talbot 3, Chandler Hovey, Jr. 2, David Scull, bow, and George Shortlidge cox.

When the 150's arrived they went up stream with Coach Bert Haines for their test flight. Veteran George Lewis was stroking the lightweights, with Bill Brown at 7, George Meyer 6, Ralph Hamill 5, John Stillman 4, Chris Cutler 3, Dave Dunbar 2, and Gordon Gilkey bow.

Walt Kernan and Barr Comstock stroked the second and third heavies, who also turned out. Three more Varsity and several Freshmen boats completed the ranks of crews which got out for the first day. At least three more of Bert Haines 150's will be down soon.