FIGHTERS CLASH TODAY IN UNIVERSITY TOURNEY

45 Entered in Boxing Tourney; First Round Bouts Listed for 4 O'Clock-Yardlings May Win

From Yard and House, from Law and from Business School, 45 pugilists will converge on the boxing room in the Indoor Athletic Building this afternoon at 4 o'clock for the first round of the all-University boxing tournament.

There will be no seeding, Henry Lamar, fisticuff mentor, said last night. The fighters will be paired by chance in the eight weight classes, with the semifinals listed for 7:30 o'clock Thursday evening.

Although this is an individual, not a team tournament, Lamar said last night that the large Yardling contingent avowedly is out for all the titles it can get, with a fair chance of winning them.

Entered in the heavyweight class are Tudor Gardiner '40 finalist in last year's tourney, and Charles P. Curtis 3rd. '41, a promising Yearling. Among the 175-pounders are Samuel P. Shaw '39, winner last year, Henry Lloyd '37, 1B., considerably heavier than when he won the 135 pound title two years ago, and Louis B. Harder '41.

Schiafly, Downes in 165 Class

Lamar mentioned Robert F. Schiafly 2L and Robert C. Downes, '38 as possible finalists in the 165 pound bracket. Chris Landry '38, undefeated in 165 pound House boxing and Norman A. Polansky '40, unbeaten 155 pounder, are entered for the 155 pound event.

In the 145 classification are Henry Kelley '40, John Weston and William Lindsay. Edward Richardson '39 both unbeaten in House bouts are entered for the 135 class.

Former Eli Varsity boxer Walter Smith 2B is listed among the 125-pounders as is Paul O. Chatfield '39, who recently stopped out of his class to trim a 165 pound opponent in House boxing. The 125 and 115 pound brackets show two former Varsity boxers at Southern universities.

Bouts will run three rounds of two minutes.