CALIFORNIA, HERE I COME!

PRESS

"Please make it plain that this is not only an Oriental show. It is something broader than that - a Pacific Basin show.

Langdon Warner was speaking on the momentous exhibit that he is assembling as part of the rich world art displays of the 1939 Exposition.

"No,"he went on, nursing his pipe in informal comfort (he is a big, ruddy man who looks a little like Richard Strauss), "we'll have not only Japanese and Chinese things but also a great wealth of primitive objects from the South Seas and Australia.

"And the show will range up and down the American Coast, from the Alaska Eskimos to the pre-Columbians of Mexico, Peru, and so on."

Will these primitive art works be so fascinating?

"I should say they will," asserted Warner.... "Primitive artists could not splash around with commercially marketed tools the way lots of modern artists do. They themselves had to create both their artworks with sweat and thought.

Solidly ensconced in the Exposition headquarters on Bush Street, Warner and his assistant, Augustus Pollack, are booked to spend a solid two years at their task.

-The San Francisco Sunday Examiner

(Ed. Note: Langdon Warner '03, is Keeper of the Oriental Department, Fogg Art Museum, and Lecturer in Fine Arts.)