TIME-SAVER

In the Union there are periods during each meal when the student waiters, waitresses, and kitchen are rushed by the horde of Freshmen which pours into and crowds every table and chair. These times are the rush hour at breakfast, luncheon, and dinner. They not only strain the speed of the service to the utmost, but also place its accuracy and good-naturedness at a premium. No waitress nor student waiter can be expected to remember all the fine points of the individual orders of eight, twelve, or sixteen men. Nor, under the pressure, can any one expect that he or she should accept criticism of his or her efficiency with complete indifference. Making use of a simple device might improve both the service and the attitude towards it.

This device consists of providing a small pad ror each diner, upon which he will write what he wishes to eat. Thus is eliminated the need for shouting or repeating an order, thus is promoted quiet and quickness. The meal pad is but a minor suggestion for improvement, yet it is the erasing of petty annoyances which makes University life more pleasant and more worthwhile. Farley Demotes   1-Cent Stamps   Washington to   -New York "Herald Tribune"   March 8, 1938.

No less than the palsied hand which jumbled the Herald Tribune's fateful headline, our own pen trembles as it records the treason of Administration demagogues. One shudders to think what will come next from the New Dealers whose despotic path has led them to degrade the Father of His country. No palliative, not even the soothing words of a Clay, can smooth over such an affront to national patriotism. In no time at all the Mayflower Society, D.A.R., and W.C.T.U. will be at Mr. Farley's Democratic throat.

But Mr. Farley and the boys are not content with profaning the name of America's first gentleman and alienating the country's philatelists against he who claims to be the number one stamp collector as well as the first man of America. In a paltry appeal to the women's vote, they have chosen to make Martha Washington half again as valuable as her worthy spouse. Thomas Jefferson, whose name rests on his plan for sending Black Fact Indians to Harvard, is given the coveted three-cent berth. And with grim irony Benjamin Franklin, who enjoyed the title of Post master General for North America, is now reduced almost to extinction; he will grace the half-cent issue.

Giving postage prominence to such forgotten Democrats as Buchanan and Tyler smacks of party favoritism. The statement, in addition, that Hoover cannot be placed upon a stamp because he is alive seems more a political pretext than an error in fact. A note of optimism, however, creeps into the situation when one realizes that Mr. Farley has ruined his own chances of attaining stamp immortality. Yet if there is any significance in the Tribune's terse assertion that "Goddess of Freedom pictures will be discontinued," then all is lost.