STATE TO PROBE A.F.L. WAITRESSES CONTRACT

COMMISSION WILL POLL WORKERS AND RENDER 'DECISION

Unofficial sources revealed late late night the decision of the State Labor Relations sub-committee to determine once and for all the legality of the American Federation of Labor's contract with the University whereby Locals 186 and 112 are given sole bargaining rights.

The contract, which presupposed a 51 percent A. F. of L. majority, in the dining halls and kitchens, was signed by the University without any attempt being made to prove the existence of this majority. The majority was not certified, as is usually the case, by the State Labor Relations Commission, nor was any general vote held among the employees.

'Inside' Union Challenge

The contract, signed in February, went unchallenged until March 30. At that time the so-called "inside" union, of Harvard Employees Representatives Association, filed a petition with the Commission for certification of a majority in six departments, one of these being the dining-hall and kitchen group.

The election to determine who has the majority will be held as soon as possible, and the Commission's decision will be handed down within the month. The other departments in which the "inside" union claims a majority are the caretakers, the H. A. A., the printers and binders, the laboratory workers, the maintenance men, and the engineers exclusive of Medical School power-house workers.

Since the 51 percent required refers only to union members who have paid their dues, Joseph Stefani last night urged the A. F. of L. waitresses to pay up as soon as possible. Half the waitresses, he declared, were in arrears. "Inside" union officials argued, however, that even if all the A. F. of L. waitresses paid up, Stefani would only control 30 percent of all the waitresses and cooks.