Annual Report Finds Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Remains Largely White, Male

Harvard Square Celebrates Oktoberfest

Harvard Corporation Members Donated Big to Democrats in 2020 Elections

City Council Candidates Propose Strategies for Supporting Low-Income Residents at Virtual Forum

FAS Dean Gay Hopes to Update Affiliates on Ethnic Studies Search by Semester’s End

His Bookshelf Grows

In Charleston, S. C., William Hervey Allen's Anthony Adverse sold like tickets to a cockfight. This noted Sigma Chi from the Pittsburgh chapter had previously left a mark at Porter Military Academy and Charleston high. There he made life easier for students by holding that "It's me" is grammatically correct. Just back from being wounded in a tough war, he also used to throw chalk at the sleepy learners in his classes.

A huge, grinning, wise-cracking native of Pittsburgh, Hervey Allen made two tentative starts in life. He was at Annapolis before overindulgence in athletics made him unfit for the sea. Graduating from Pittsburgh with honors in 1915, he went to work for a telephone company. He entered the Big Conflict as soon as there was Maxican border trouble.

The first of his works were volumes of poetry. The whole sum of them was dwarfed by the 1,224-page Anthony Adverse, rale, 900,000 copies, His Action at Aquils just out, the row of Hervey Allen books on the shelf in his Maryland farm now totals fourteen. his membership in college fraternities totals two, Sigma Chi and Omicron Delta Kappa.