Adams, Bellboys Conquer as House Baseball Starts

53 TEAMS THIS SPRING

With the possibility that 53 teams will see action on the House front before June, the Spring intramural sports season got well under way yesterday afternoon as Adams shaded the Bunnies 7 to 6 and the Bellboys took Winthrop 7 to 5 in the hardball openers.

The first round of softball clashes saw the Goldcoasters trim Leverett 7 to 4 and Lowell outslug Winthrop 11 to 7 on Wednesday, while Eliot defeated the Funster team 4 to 1 and Kirkland trimmed the Ramblers 10 to 2 yesterday afternoon.

In tennis matches yesterday and the day before, Adams, Eliot, and Kirkland respectively blanked Leverett, Dunster, and Dudley 7 to 0, while Lowell racquetmen took Winthrop 5 to 2. Golf matches have been postponed until next week.

Bunnies Outhit Adams

Although outhit by the Bunnies 11 to 9, the Goldcoasters bunched their hits more effectively than their opponents. Otovos, Adams third-sacker, poled a triple.

The Lowell victory was featured by the superb pitching of Bob White, who struck out 12 men in five innings pitched. Chick Bowen, with a double and a triple, and Ed Doering with a homer and a single led the Bellboy attack. Moore and Butler paced the Winthrop batting.

Although there is no official competion scheduled until the inter-House championship races on May 18, some 13 House shells are on the river. The Dudley eight held four practice sessions during vacation. At this early date, it looks as if the Elephant and the Bunny will battle it out on the Charles for the House rowing crown. Both boats are coached by former Washington University oarsmen.