YALE "NEWS" ASKS FOR COACHING CONTRACTS

Survey Conducted by Eli Newspaper Shows Managers, Captains, Coaches, Want 3-Year Contracts for Mentors

Conducting a survey of Yale's athletic coaches, the Yale "News" has found that 96 per cent. of the Eli mentors are in favor of definite contracts with the Yale Athletic Association, covering at least three years, in place of the present system of "gentlemen's agreements."

The fact that Holcomb York, Varsity hockey coach, was abruptly dismissed was termed by one Eli "like pulling impacted wisdom teeth."

The News is backing the mentors in their efforts to do away with the "Sword of Damocles" working agreement.

"Rancorous Feeling"

Says the News editorially: ". . . the athletic authorities have not learned how to dismiss coaches without leaving the rancorous feeling that their careers at Yale are being dishonorably terminated . . .if a man has to worry about his won-and-lost record all during the season he is not so likely to build his team for the future . . ."

The coaches are backed in their efforts for security of tenure by most of Yale's captains and managers, according to Wednesday's News' interview.