German Minority in Czechoslovakia May Try to Bring Nazi Intervention, Claims Morstein Marx

Hitler Government Will Not Fight While Daladier's Cabinet Rules France

"Unless the general situation in Central Europe changes basically in the near future, the demands of the German minority in Czechoslovakia will become more pressing--pressing to the point where they cannot be satisfied by Czechoslovakia unless she sacrifices her sovereignty," declared Fritz Morstein Marx, assistant professor of Government, in an interview yesterday.

"The success of the Austrian coup has set a new tone for the German minority. Under present circumstances Konrad Henlein's demands will tend to be unacceptable. Thus conflict in Czechoslovakia will become latent. The 'liberator' can then be called in the moment expert timing makes such a move possible," added the author of "Government in the Third Reich."

One factor which works toward preservation of the status quo, he explained, is the strong French cabinet formed from the right and center. "I do not expect any break at the Czechoslovakian frontier as long as the present cabinet is in power in France," he declared.

Tracing the concessions of the Czechoslovakian government to the increasing vocal German minority, 80 percent of which is controlled by the Sudoten German party, Marx declared that the demands of Henlein for a "state within a state" may indicate that Henlein himself does not want a mutually satisfactory agreement.

"It is conceivable that his tactics are intended to produce a case for German intervention," said Marx.

"Since the German minority consists largely of small peasant proprietors, it cannot be assumed that economic pressure accounts for their responsiveness to the thought of political union with the Reich," he added.