RESCUE OF BOOKS FROM NAZI FLAMES AMERICANS' HOPE

Burning of Valuable Books by Hitler Henchmen to Be Prevented by Rapid Action

Widener Library authorities have indicated a willingness to cooperate with other American libraries in an attempt to save the National Library of Vienna's non-Aryan books from the torches of Hitler. Twenty of the nations largest libraries are taking part in the movement started by the librarian of Williams college.

Yale, Princeton, and other large college libraries are leading the fight to save the collection of the Hapsburg emporers from destruction. The librarians hope to purchase the Semitic collection, part of the world famous theatre collection, and all non-Nazi material before Hitler's men burn it.

The Widener purchasing department has not made a definite decision yet, but said, "we are willing to purchase any worthwhile books that we do not have." They expressed doubts if there were many books that they could use, however. Widener officials favor a cautious policy of removing the books from Austria, over an attempt to purchase the books all at one time.