SANDERS AT ELEVEN

When Harvard undergraduates gather in Sanders Theatre this morning at a peace forum presided over by the Dean of the University, they will be in no way participating in the American Student Union's nation-wide "strike." Far from defying college authority, they will meet with the approval of the Dean's Office. Far from drinking in some of the more ruddy doctrines of the A.S.U., they will hear no less conservative a speaker than Hamilton Fish, Jr. Far from being harangued by undergraduate radicals, they will be addressed by the President of the Student Council.

It is perhaps unfortunate that the organizations represented in the Peace Committee chose for Harvard's first formal and authorized peace demonstration an hour which coincides with a much more dubious movement throughout the nation. But the aims of the Peace Committee have been too plainly expressed to permit confusion.

In so heterogeneous a section of American youth as Harvard's student body, one of the few things that all men hold in common is a fervent desire for peace. The man who deplores the bombing of Spanish Loyalists and does not equally deplore the bombing of Spanish Insurgents is not a pacifist, but a politician. There are comparatively few of these politicians at Harvard; they will be found this morning furiously distributing literature. Those who are truly representative of Harvard will go sincerely and soberly to Sanders Theatre, whether Quaker or R.O.T.C. officer, to see what hope remains of preserving peace. The others are advised to take the subway to Boston Common, where an indulgent democracy will let them talk to their heart's content.