Phillips Brooks House Announces Grenfell Workers

Carnegie Corporation President Addresses Annual Banquet

Presiding at the annual dinner of the Phillips Brooks House Association last night, C. Colton Daughaday '38 announced that James H. Gilbert '40 and Thomas H. E. Quimby '40 had been chosen to do Grenfell Mission work in Labrador this summer.

Other committees announced by President-Elect Edmond LaB. Cherbonnier '39 are: Freshman Handbook, J. Warren Palm '40; Senior Advisory, C. Tiffany Richardson, Jr. '39, Roger Pierce, Jr. '39, Edward H. Schoyer '39, Elisworth S. Grant '39, and Langdon B. Gilkey '40; Dental School, Seth Craig, Jr. 3Dn; Medical School, Walter I. Tucker 3M; Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, Stanley C. Salmen 1G.

Summarizing the work which has been done at Phillips Brooks House this year, Daughaday stressed the need for students to continue their social service and philanthropic work after graduation.

The guest speaker of the evening was Frederick P. Keppel, president of the Carnegie Corporation. Talking on the subject of "Foundations and Endowments, Major Industry," Keppel said that recent tendency in philanthropic work has been to find the cause and remedy for suffering rather than merely palliating it. This tendency is especially true of medicine.

Concluding that "the foundation as a social instrument has justified itself," Keppel stated no one could write a comprehensive history of the United States today without generous reference to the work done in medicine, education and social service under the auspices of American foundations.