Littauer To Lay Cornerstone For Graduate School

Conant and Dean Williams Will Also Speak at Ceremonies

When Lucius N. Littauer '78 lays the cornerstone of the new Graduate School of Public Administration with due ceremony this afternoon, it will be on foundations virtually completed in the last two months.

The celebrities will find a raised stand, gaily decorated with bunting, carefully prepared for today's ceremonies. The grounds around have been cleared up; "we figured we'd have to do it sometime anyway," remarked the foreman.

President Conant will open the private ceremonies at 4 o'clock with a few words, and John H. Williams, Dean of the Graduate School of Public Administration, will follow him as second speaker.

Finally, Littauer will follow his speech with action, laying the cornerstone with a silver trowel specially inscribed for the occasion. Very little exertion will be required of the donor of the new Littauer Center, however, for a winch and a small derrick will swing the stone into place for the formality.

"We couldn't very well build much further without the cornerstone," said one of the foremen, explaining it was at the base of the granite facing. However, 90 men working for the last two months have not been waiting for the cornerstone ceremonies. In the deep excavation on the site of the old Hemenway Gymnasium, the concrete foundations have already risen well above the ground.

At the eastern end the main floor is entirely laid, but at the other a riveting gang is still working within the basement walls on a maze of scaffolding above murky pools of water on the floor.