Mitchell, Bolles, Mikkola, Harlow Speak at Varsity Club Luncheon

Crew, Baseball Coaches Refuse to Predict Season's Outcome While Track Mentor Pessimistic About Yale Meet Before Annual Spring Gathering

With speeches by four Varsity coaches as the feature attraction, nearly 200 members of the Varsity Club, graduates and undergraduates, yesterday noon attended the annual spring luncheon at the club house.

Richard C. Floyd '10, president, introduced the four speakers, who discussed team prospects, in addition to calling on the captains of the various major sports and assistant coaches to take a bow.

Mitchell Comments on Nine

Fred Mitchell, baseball mentor, led off the speeches. Although refusing to make a prediction on the outcome of the season. Mitchell did declare that his present nine had "more spirit and the will to win" than any previous teams. By observation so far this year, Mitchell stated that there is no league club that is outstanding and that pitching throughout the circuit is weaker than usual. With only three Seniors in the present lineup, the squad should be just as strong next year.

Next on the program was Tom Bolles, head crew coach, who cautiously admitted that "we may possibly have a better crew than last year." emphasizing the size of the first boat oarsmen this season. With the Elis boasting an improved crew over last year, Bolles was doubtful on the result of the Yale race at New London.

"Anyone Can Win"

Although Bolles stated that the Varsity "didn't really row their best race at Princeton," he makes no predictions on a Harvard victory Saturday on the Charles. "Anyone of the three crews, Cornell, Syracuse, and Harvard, can win," he said. In discussing the individuals of the first boat, he praised the captain, Spike Chace, "as an all-time great stroke-oar."

With the Yale meet looming in the immediate future and after last weeks' sotback by Dartmouth, the usually optimistic Jaakko Mikkola confessed considerable, pessimism about the Eli encounter saying, "We are a little better than last year, but Yale has its best team for many years."

In commenting on the various events, Mikkola praised the showing of certain individuals invariably adding "but it isn't enough in the Yale Meet."

Harlow Praises Morale

Unlike his coaching colleagues, Dick Harlow as the last speaker concluded his remarks on the football prospects by saying he didn't worry about the opposition. If the team is "playing on all four," the Varsity eleven is ready for any fee.

The football coach discussed the encouraging morale and attendance at spring practice. While the individuals are better developed, the team as a whole is behind last year's since only four or five of next fall's Varsity will have played together as a team in previous competition, Harlow said.