Crimson Nine Meets Title-Sharing Ithacan Team This Afternoon Here

Ed Ingalls on Mound as Varsity Seeks Revenge Over Big Red; Columbia Tomorrow

With the Ivy League lead hanging in the balance, the two top teams of the circuit, Harvard and Cornell, meet this afternoon at 4 o'clock on Soldiers Field with the rival coaches each starting their top hurlers.

Coach Fred Mitchell will have big Ed Ingalls on the Crimson mound in an attempt to avenge the earlier 3-0 setback by the Big Red at Ithaca, while Mike Steunack will toil for the invaders. Both teams have won four and dropped one.

Columbia Double-Header Tomorrow

Even if the Crimson nine should take the Cornell game, they meet tough opposition in the Columbia double-header here tomorrow. While the Lions have only two victories in six starts, they are the only team that has defeated Cornell this season.

Since Ingalls is scheduled to hurl against the Ithacans in search of his third league triumph, Tom Healey will twirl the first game on Saturday for the Crimson with Slim Curtiss slated to take up the burden in the second encounter.

In all of the weekend tilts, Mitchell intends to use the lineup that started the season. Following the nearly disastrous Penn game when the Crimson infield made six boots in the field, the Varsity mentor has reverted to the former infield of Ulysses Lupien at first, Dave Shean on second, Art Johns at short, and Dick Grondah at third.

This infield which played errorless ball last Saturday is probably the best combination in the league. Ellis Bacon has been awarded the starting post behind the plate, at least for the Cornell game.

Although the outfield lacks the batting punch that Mitchell so needs, Joe Soltz in left, Bob Gannett in center, and Rud Hoye in right will be assigned to the outer garden, with a possibility of either Dick Hall or Frank Weiner replacing Gannett in case the opposition uses a left handed pitcher.

Hall and Lozier are the heaviest hitters of the mediocre batting Cornell nine, while Moller, Desmond, and Luckman are the big guns of the Columbia offense.