Fire Chief Deplores Lack of Spirit Shown by Present Day Crimson Jokers

Disclosed Intimate Nocturnal Habits of Cambridge Fire Fighters

"Harvard men ain't what they used to be," opined Chief Goodheim, veteran of 38 years service in Cambridge's fire fighting outfit, in an interview yesterday.

"There haven't been many false alarms for the last ten years. Ten years ago there was a great epidemic of them and we put them all in jail."

Chief Goodheim showed a CRIMSON investigator Cambridge's palatial home for firemen. "It is better than the Hotel Statler," insisted the Chief.

As for leisure between fires the Chief explained, "Some of them play cards, some road, some study, and some just sit." When a colored sketch which resembled a grinning Indian was pointed out to the king of the fire house he remarked, "Well, the boys like to play, you know."

Questioned about the men's sleeping habits the Chief replied, "Some of them sleep in their underwear, some of them wear pajamas, others-well, they don't wear too much."

The Chief rushes to fires, not in a common red car which is reserved for lowly district chiefs, but in a shiny 1937 black Buick. However, to a remark that it must be enjoyable to be a fire chief, he sighed, "It's all work and no fun."