THE MAIL

(Ed. Note--The Crimson does not necessarily endorse opinions expressed in printed communications. No attention will be paid to anonymous letters and only under special conditions, at the request of the writer, will names be withheld.)

To the Editor of the Crimson,

"Judge not that ye be not judged," as a well known figure once said. In the past, the Crimson has allowed itself to criticize the policies and methods of William Randolph Hearst. If I may be so bold, I would like to suggest that the Crimson has employed one of Mr. Hearst's finest tactics: the gross misrepresentation of news on the reactionary side. I refer specifically to the article on the Peace Meeting of November sixth.

It is more than obvious to anyone who attended the meeting that Mr. Baldwin's speech was by far the outstanding event of the evening. Not only was he received enthusiastically as the featured speaker, but he had the most to say and said it the best. He received twice as much applause during and after his speech as any of the other men on the platform. Yet an innocent person reading the Crimson's article would get exactly the opposite impression. Mr. Baldwin was not mentioned in the headlines or lead, and was given only the last paragraph, some ten or twelve lines.

If there were no obvious reason for this falsification of the news, one would attribute it to sloppy journalism. But the reason is all too obvious. Mr. Baldwin believes in doing something about peace. He stated that only through an active United Front for Peace and mass political action can the Powers-that-be be stopped in their mad drive to war. He quoted the statement of General Smedley D. Butler that the military forces of this country were the tools of Wall Street: the powers-that-be. He recommended the American League against War and Fascism, now numbering over one and a half million members. And most important, he spoke of the startling achievements of the United Front in France against war and fascism. None of these things are pleasing to the powers-that-be, either in Harvard or in the nation at large.

It would seem that the Crimson is quite prepared to emulate the great Hearst and know-tow-to the forces of reaction. Sincerely,   E. M. Kahn '36

(Ed. Note--Dear Mr. Kahn,

We have no desire to undermine your constitution by agreeing with your point but for several days we have thought you absolutely correct.

The Editor of the Crimson

P. S. Thank God that's off our chest.)