Annual Report Finds Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Remains Largely White, Male

Harvard Square Celebrates Oktoberfest

Harvard Corporation Members Donated Big to Democrats in 2020 Elections

City Council Candidates Propose Strategies for Supporting Low-Income Residents at Virtual Forum

FAS Dean Gay Hopes to Update Affiliates on Ethnic Studies Search by Semester’s End

MAIL

(Ed. Note--The Crimson does not necessarily endorse opinions expressed in printed communications. No attention will be paid to anonymous letters and only under special conditions, at the request of the writer, will names be withheld. Only letters under 400 words can be printed because of space limitations.)

To the Editor of the Crimson:

The Neutrality Council's well-meant but ill-considered denunciation of pro-Japanese propaganda in the Chinese-Japanese Library necessitates a reply, to which I trust you can give equal publicity.

The facts are that copies of some eight or ten periodicals were put on display, not assigned, for the benefit of students in History 83b, a history course, in no way connected with the Harvard-Yenching Institute. Some of these reflect a pro-Chinese attitude. In adding "Japanese Spirit in Full Bloom" to the display, I remarked in class that it was probably an unkindness to the Japanese cause, because the propaganda efforts in the pamphlet so obviously defeat their own end; nevertheless it seemed most desirable that Americans try to gain some impression of the militarist attitude exemplified in this pamphlet. All these periodicals were clearly marked "Reserved for History 83b. Do not remove."

Did the Neutrality Council read the pamphlet in question? Which do they believe will contribute most to peace and neutrality--righteous ignorance or an understanding of foreign views and motives? J. K. Fairbank '29.