Annual Report Finds Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Remains Largely White, Male

Harvard Square Celebrates Oktoberfest

Harvard Corporation Members Donated Big to Democrats in 2020 Elections

City Council Candidates Propose Strategies for Supporting Low-Income Residents at Virtual Forum

FAS Dean Gay Hopes to Update Affiliates on Ethnic Studies Search by Semester’s End

UNION CAMPAIGNS END AS GENERAL ELECTIONS LOOM

Inside Union Draws Larger Audience As Bunyon Defends Organization; Could Paralyze Harvard

Charging "the alleged liberals who guide the destinies of Harvard" with trying to "slip something over on their employees," kenneth Taylor, Secretary-Treasurer of the State Labor Relations Board, last night challenged President Conant to an open discussion on what was best for the University' workers.

Occasion for the diatribe was a final A. F. of L. rally before the employees go to the polls to state whether they wish to be represented by the A. F. of L., the Harvard University Employees Representative Association, or no union at all. Kitchen and Dining Hall Employees are scheduled to vote on Thursday, and the other eight groups of workers will vote on Friday.

Although the A. F. of L. spokesman cited such advantages as "fifty years experience," "all the brains between here and Washington," and "the co-operation of the Harvard Students Union," what the audience heard most of was the "illegal and inefficient" nature of the H. U. E. R. A.

Pointing out that the University had broken labor laws in the time of President Lowell, Robert H. Everett, A. F. of L. organizer, said he was "more convinced than ever" that Harvard was again breaking the law, this time by fostering a company union.

Replying to these attacks at a meeting almost twice the size, William Bunyon, President of the H. U. E. R. A., denied that he was in any way connected with the University. Declaring that the ultimate weapon of a union was a strike, he showed that if his organization came into power it could paralyze the University.

The H. U. E. R. A. Bunyon went on was a combination of a vertical and horizontal union, for although segregated according to profession, the higher salaried employees defended the interests of the lowest wage-earners.