Eliot, Kirkland Boats Win Trial Heats

Elephants Win Soft Ball Title, Downing Kirkland 11-7 in Final Game

Eliot and Kirkland emerged victorious from yesterday's two preliminary races for the Agassiz cup over the Henley distance, as the Lowell and Leverett shells qualified also for the final brush scheduled for tomorrow afternoon. The winners' times, 7:14 for Eliot and 7:17 for Kirkland, presages a royal tussle in the deciding race.

The Elephant boat lived up to its name as far as power went, as it held a safe lead over the entire stretch. Winthrop, staging a mighty spurt near the end, drew up on the Bunny shell but caught a crab up on the Bunny shell but caught a crab 25 yards from the finish line enabling the Leverett eight to cinch second place and a spot in the final. Dudley, despite a consignment of ringers, finished nearly 25 lengths in the rear.

Deacons Out in Front

The Deacons, finishing well out in front, got little competition except from the second place Bellboys, with Dunster and Adams fighting it out for third place.

Three races are listed for this afternoon: two heats for House second crews, and a consolation contest for those boats which failed to quality yesterday.

On dry land, Eliot softballers covered themselves with glory as they downed Kirkland 11 to 7 to capture the circuit title with an unblemished record. Steve Madey pitched for the winners, but failed to impress the Deacon batters; Eliot was tied with Kirkland at 7 all going into the last frame, after trailing throughout the game. With bases loaded and no outs, George Reed took the honors of the day by banging out a homer. The four run margin was more than enough for the Elephants.

Rabbits Boat Commuters

In other softball games Nelson and Weidling pitched the Rabbits to a 19 to 5 win over the Commuters.

Out on the links, Dunster toppled Lowell from its tee, as the Dunster divot-diggers drove and putted their way to a 6 to 3 decision. In other matches, Winthrop defaulted to Eliot, and Dudly defaulted to Adams. With two matches unplayed, Kirkland took the Bunny golfers 31/2 to 21/2.

The Dudley-Adams and Winthrop-Leverett baseball games were called off.

Elephant tennis players trimmed Lowell 6 to 3, but it is too late for Eliot to push Kirkland out of first place, since the Deacons have an almost clean record. Lowell still remains, in first place in the golf standings, but by a much slimmer margin then before the Bell boys tasted defeat yesterday.