FOUR EIGHTS WIN IN REGATTA OVER RUTGERS AND TECH

Freshman Oarsmen Lead by 1 1/2 Lengths As Fifties Overcome Loss to Win in 7:15 Time

With the spirited Freshman eight leading the way by dint of a 6.55.4 time over the Henley distance, four Crimson crews staged an impressive debut on the Charles last Saturday by swinging smoothly to easy victories over Rutgers and M.I.T. and bringing home the Rowe Cup for the second year.

As each of the Crimson boats sprinted across the finish line with ample open water separating them from the nearest contender, it was a dramatic tribute to the aggressive leadership of Coach Tom Bolles and the year's development of his technique.

Yardlings Stage Battle

From the very race it was Harvard's day. The Yardlings, hard-pressed by a steady and muscular Tech outfit, came into their element by the half-mile mark, beat the Engineers by a length and a half, and walked away with the best time of the regatta.

Next came the Jayvees, according to official time, who spaced out two and a half lengths over the M. I. T. eight and a deck-length more over the Raritan boys. Spike Chace's men won by three lengths with the Tech boat trailing the Scarlet oarsmen by a length.

Although setting out a much higher stroke the Yardlings lost the start to the light duralumin Tech shell. Not until the three-quarters did Captain Sherm Gray's cocky eight forge ahead, rowing two points higher than the Engineers. It took the final sprint to the finish to show up the hidden power of the Crimson. Gaining four feet at each stroke the Freshman managed to jump ahead with a deck-length of open water.

Fiftles Race a Classic

The Varsity Fifties were the unknown quantity before the regatta, and their race with Tech proved a thriller. In the red and gray shell were six men who rowed in the Wright Cup race last year and captured the championship by a five foot margin.

Once again the Engineers' light shell gave them a half-Ingth advantage at the start, but as both crews began to lengthen out by the quarter-mile the Crimson crept up. A sprint at the half-mile closed up the gap and the Harvard eight kept on for a half-length lead. With both sets of blades working about 32, gradually increasing up to 36 at the finish, the boat stroked by Vince Balley crossed in 7:15.

Keeping the beat down to 30 and 32 until the last half-minute, Spike Chace's boat kept up a smooth easy stride and finished in 7:09.6. The two or three feet gained by Tech at the opening gun vanished as the Crimson, rowing 37 to M. I. T.'s 40 and Rutgers 38, crept up for a half-length lead which they increased to a length by the three-quarters.

Varsity Wins Easily

From then on the Engineers and New Jersey boats began to wobble and lose ground rapidly. Tech put it up to 32 at the mile and Rutgers soon afterwards to 35, but Chace had it steadied at 30 with a length and a half of open water to spare.

The Jayvee Race was the only other three-cornered affair. Paced by Bill Rowe, the Harvard oarsmen quickly sprinted out ahead of M. I. T. and a slower Rutgers eight. By the half-mile they had increased it to a length and were rowing 34 to the Tech 32, the Scarlet's 29.

A powerful drive by the Jersey-men at the mile marked failed to gain any ground and they fell behind the Engineers. Different from their splashing contestants the Crimson blades kept the stroke down until the last minute when a snappy leg drive at 36 jumped the Bolles boat into a lead of a length and a half of open water.

A light breeze over the starboard bow and a still surface favored the Freshman race, but as the wind hauled around to eastward the water in the basin chopped up and make tough going for the Varsity. All Harvard crows finished at 36 and kept up an easy 30 for the greater part of the race