V. F. W. Leader Censures Hicks Choice; J. Saltonstall Approves

Squyres Cannot Understand Why Harvard Has "Betrayed Trust Of People of America"

Lashing Harvard for the appointment of Granville Hicks, avowed Communist, to its tutorial staff, S. Scott P. Squyres of Oklahoma City, National commander of the Veterans of Foreign Wars, freely expressed his views on the situation at a breakfast given in the Parker House to members of the V.F.W.

"Harvard, looked to as a leader and guide by other educational institutions, is fast losing its leadership," the commander disclosed.

"I cannot understand why Harvard has betrayed the trust the American people have placed in it. If its so-called 'liberal' policy contines, it will lose its prestige;-it will slowly become a Red university."

Squyres, in referring to the discovery of a swastika on the wall of Memorial Hall Saturday, declared that it could not have been a mere student prank but a serious warning that Nazism is flourishing.

Meanwhile, John J. Saltonstall '00 offered a different opinion in The Alumni Bulletin. "If the theories of Communists and other radical elements are wrong and do not meet with the approval of the great bulk of our citizens, they will fall, and those who promote them will be 'lost in the shuffle,'" he commented.

"But when various flag-raising-politicians deny to Communists and other adicals freedom of meeting and expression," Saltonstall continued, "they not only help to advertise their cause, but make martyrs of them as well."