Batsmen Strengthen League Lead by Defeating Green Invaders

HARVARD LEADS BLUE AND GREEN BY TWO GAMES

Today at 4 o'clock the Varsity nine will oppose an unusually strong Northeastern team on Soldiers Field. Slim Curtiss will be the probable Crimson pitcher, while the Huskles will use Gus Rook, their mound ace.

For the next three weeks, at least, Harvard's baseball team is going to hang on tightly to first place in the Eastern Intercollegiate Baseball League standing. By turning back Dartmouth, one of the leaders, last Saturday while Yale, another close rival, was being upset by Pennsylvania, the Cantabs comented their grip on the lead, scoring their seventh victory in nine games, and they cannot be displaced before June 18, when their next league game is scheduled.

Harvard was hazard put to beat Dartmouth, but behind the steady pitching of end Ingalls and a good relief job by Tom Healey, the Cantabs did-in a game of twenty-runs, eleven errors, thirteen stolen bases and twenty-four hits, of which Harvard made thirteen for seventeen bases. And when hither to victoryless Pennsylvania rose up and smacked Yale, 5 to 4, in eleven innings, first extra-frame contest in the league this season, the Cantab road to the 1938 title was made a little easier.

Thus with three games left to play, the Crimson is two full games in front of Dartmouth and Yale, tied for second place with four victories and three defeats. The Crimson has one more game with Dartmouth (on June 18) and then the two-game series with Yale. If it wins two of those three, it can do no worse than tie for the crown. STANDING OF THE TEAMS   W  L  Pct. Harvard  7  2  .778 Yale  4  3  .571 Dartmouth  4  3  .571 Princeton  4  4  .500 Cornell  4  5  .444 Columbia  4  5  .444 Penn  1  6  .143