House Situation Survey Is Planned by Hanford As Freshmen Offer Plans to Cure Inadequacy

FIVE PROPOSALS MADE

Submitting a series of proposals for remedying inadequacy in House facilities at a time when House facilities at a time when House rejections are at their annual high point, a self-constituted committee of Freshmen met late last week with Dean Hanford, who indicated that he would conduct a comprehensive survey of the practicability of the measures proposed, it was announced last night.

Particular stress was laid on a reconsideration of the plan for associated House memberships, inasmuch as University Hall feels that the number annually excluded from the Houses will be considerably reduced by stabilization of the Freshman class at 1000 members, and by the graduation of the unusually large classes of 1938 and 1939.

Proposals Submitted

Other proposals submitted for consideration included additions to present Houses, University coordination of dormitories or boarding houses, or the Yale plan, whereby all Juniors but few Sophomores, are admitted to the colleges.

Delmar Leighton '19, Dean of Freshmen, last night emphasized the newness of the problem. "I've watched it grow; only a few years ago we had difficulty filling the Houses."

Merriman Sees "Crying Shame"

Roger B. Merriman '96, Gurney Professor of History and Master of Eliot House, last night begged off from a more complete statement in view of the fact that he was in the midst of making up the History I exam, but did say that "he thought it was a crying shame that so many good men were excluded from the Houses."

The committee is composed of Leo Marx, Langdon P. Marvin, Jr., Logan Bullitt, Rufus W. Mathewson, Jr., Homer D. Peabody, Jr., Arthur C. Jaros, Jr. John W. Darr, Jr., Quentin Roosevelt, William H. Heinton, Eugene H. Nickerson, James J. Pattee Jr., and Spencer Klaw. Also present at the meeting were William E. Clark '08 Wales Professor of Sanskrit and Master of Kirkland House, and Richard B. Finn '39, Chairman of the B. S. U. committee on the House problem