STUDENT COUNCIL BACKS SCHEME FOR HOUSE DEBATING

Plans for Next Year Are Discussed at Banquet Last Night; Yale Debate In Fall Scheduled

Winding up its year's activities with a banquet at the Faculty Club last night, the Debating Council discussed plans for next year and heard that the Student Council has endorsed the Council's plan for inter-House debating, a program in which 192 men have expressed their desire to participate.

Keynote of the evening was approval of the House plan, already approved by all House Committees and all but one Master. Guest speakers were Rodman W. Paul '36, Assistant Dean, Paul Reardon '32, Richard H. Sullivan '39, newly elected president of the Student Council, and Irving Murray '36 2 Dv.

Ebb Reports

Lawrence F. Ebb '39, President of the Debating Council, reported that the group has participated in 27 intercollegiate debates during the year, ten over the radio. Debates scheduled for next year include two series of eight broadcasts, an "across the border" debate with McGill in the fall, and possibly debates with other Canadian colleges.

A debate with Yale in the Boston Public Library is slated for the fall, as well as trips to Southern and Western colleges. The intercollegiate group will be restricted to 25 debaters, Ebb said.

Council Resolution

The Student Council resolution read, "The Student Council endorses the Debating Council's program for inter-House debating, and recommends that the Debating Council make use of the library staffs in the Houses for coaching as far as possible."

In writing of the House debating plan, Robert M. Ravven '39, Chairman of the Dudley House Committee, said, ". . . . there remain a large number, not so interested in athletics, lacking sources of contact with members of the other houses. We feel that the proposed plan . . . would appeal especially to many of this group."

Edward M. Rowe '27, Director of Debating gave out silver medals to participants in the Harvard-Yale-Princeton debate.