PAUL HERMAN BUCK RECEIVES PRIZE IN PULITZER AWARDS

"The Late George Apley" Wins Award For Most Distinguished Novel About Life in America

Paul H. Buck, assistant professor of History and tutor in the division of Government, History and Economics, was awarded the $1,000 Pulitzer Prize in American History for his book "Read to Reunion--1865-1900," it was announced last night.

Buck, who received his M.A. here in 1924, and his Ph.D. in 1935, has been a member of the faculty since 1926. He is at present an assistant in History 5b and he also conducts History 65b, a course in the history of the South. "Road to Reunion--1865-1900," a history of the reconstruction period and the years following, was published by Little, Brown & Co.

Marquand Wins Award

The award for the most distinguished novel dealing with some aspect of life in America went to John P. Marquand for his book "The Late George Apley."

An editor of the Lampoon here, Marquand left college to work for two years on the Boston Transcript. After America's entrance into the World War, National Guardsman Marquand, who had already seen service on the Mexican border, went overseas. As first lieutenant in the Field Artillery, he participated in the Marne-Aisne, St. Mihiel and Meuse-Argonne offensives.

After the Armistice, Marquand joined the Sunday department of the New York Tribune for one year, when he left to write advertising copy.

Since 1921 Marquand has devoted himself to the writing of fiction. Besides his short stories in the Saturday Evening Post, he has won many friends through his Mr. Moto stories. His latest, "Thank You, Mr. Moto," was also seen on the screen.

Raymond Sprigle of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette won the award for distinguished reporting with his series exposing the one-time membership of Supreme Court Justice Hugo L. Black in the Ku Klux Klan. For his Broadway success, "Our Town," the dramatic prize went to Thornton Wilder.