Crew Concludes Sprint Season With Win Over Lions

Crimson Shows Power, Control, Priming for Yale Regatta at New London

Last Eastern threat to Crimson supremacy in eight-oared sprinting trailed nearly two lengths in the Bollesmen's wake, as a level-headed Varsity eight crushed Columbia's feeble bid for victory on the tide-swept Harlem last Saturday.

But it was not the easy walkaway that rowing sages expected. A reshuffled Lion crew with 18-year-old Henry Wheeler at stroke staged a magnificent, high-count drive which took the Chace boat by surprise and forced them into a stiff battle.

Crimson at Lower Beat

While to the Columbians the race was the season's windup, except for a trial jaunt at Poughkeepsie, the Harvard swingers were rounding into form for the four-mile grind against Yale. The Lions had nothing to lose and kept slugging away at a 36 count as against the Crimson's faultless 32.

Not lost upon crew experts who hall the Harvard sweepers as sprint champions of the East is the significance of their consistently slow stroke over the short distances. Although the Elis flashed by Cornell to cast grave doubts on the Bollesmen's mythical title, sportsmen are picking the Chace-paced eight to come into its element in the long distance stretch at New London.

At New York the visitors turned the day into a complete sweep when the Jayvees led the Lions by two and a half lengths in 7:51. Both races were over the mile and three-quarter distance.

Visitors Snatch Lead

The Crimson began its powerful bladework at the start by jumping the New Yorkers and settling down quickly to a long beat. Hovering around 35 and 36 the Harlem sweepers tried desperately to hold their opponents in check and actually managed to carve out a short lead at the quarter-mile post.

With his eye on the Lions, Chace brought his men even again with the stroke well lengthened-out and built up a half-length margin. Instead of cracking under the strain the Lions pulled together and reached for the limit in sprint pacing.

Harvard took up the challenge by swinging up to 35 and holding the spacing in a power drive. From here on it was the Crimson's race to row as they pleased, and Chace lifted the beat to 38 before the winning shell went over the line. Columbia slammed across at 41, clocking in 7:55 to the victor's 7:49.4.

In spite of a guesswork start disrupted by the tide, the Jayvees grabbed an early lead and gradually increased it through the race, rowing three and four points lower than the lions.