CELEBRITIES TOP BILL TONIGHT AT FRESHMAN SMOKER

Zorina, Frank Buck, Sally Rand Head List of Outstanding Persons Who Will Appear

With over a thousand Yardlings and Upperclassmen expected, the 1941 edition of the annual Freshman Smoker will begin at 9:30 o'clock tonight in Memorial Hall and will last around three hours.

New additions to an already imposing list of celebrities include Frank "Bring 'Em Back Alive" Buck; Margot Grahame, star of the recently opened play "Lady At Large" now at the Plymouth; Joe Cashman, sports scribe of the Boston American; cartoonist Dahl of the Herald; Felix Adler, world-famous Ringling clown; and the Joseph Champagnes, well-known Boston dancing couple.

Zorina, Rand to Appear

Heading the group of stage luminaries previously announced is Vera Zorina, Norwegian star of the Rodgers and Hart musical "I Married an Angel" current at the Shubert. Other headliners from the same show are Chuck Walters, Audrey Christie, and Vivienne Segal. Walters and Christie will sing their number "Roxy Music Hall" from the play.

Sally Rand, minus her bubbles and fan, will lecture 1941 on ethics, presumably, in a talk entitled "How to be Intelligent Though Educated." In order to appear, she is flying from Baltimore, where she is rehearsing for a legitimate play. She has been quoted as saying that her object was to "make Daniel Boones of the Freshmen."

Strong, Silent Men, Too

Silent men on the program are two dwarfs and a giant, Jack Earle, from the circus. Earle is expected to display his prodigious strength by carrying one of the little men in each palm. He holds a law degree from the University of Texas.

Cartoonist Dahl, provided with a blackboard, will make a few of his famous funny drawings that appear daily as a strip in the Herald. Unfortunately, members of the Red Sox baseball team cannot attend the smoker as was announced earlier in the week.

In addition to these personalities, the Smoker Committee has engaged several outstanding acts, including The Three Whirlwinds, a roller-skating trio; Rose Roland, tap dancer recently featured at the Club Mayfair; juggler Raymond Pike; the Darling Siaters, singing trio; and the Blonde Tappers formerly at the Brown Derby. Al Zimmerman's orchestra will furnish the music.

All Freshmen are asked to bring their dining hall or Bursar's cards for identification, as Upperclassmen will be admitted only after the Freshmen have been taken care of. There is no admission charge.