CRIMSON DEFEATED BY DARTMOUTH ON TRACK

First Place Honors Split in Dual Meet At Hanover -- Final Results Give Green 71 3-5 to 63 2-5 Win

The Harvard Varsity track team Saturday lost a hard fought, see-saw dual meet with Dartmouth at Hanover by the score of 71 3-5 to 63 2-5. It was the first Green track victory over Harvard in 26 years.

First places were evenly divided, seven going to each team. It was a day of sweeps for both. Harvard swept the hammer throw, with Steve Brennan, Bill Shallow, and Bob Sears throwing one, two, three. Brennan's throw was 159 ft. 11 in. The shot was also swept by Harvard. George Downing won with 47 ft., 6 1-2 in. Howard Mendel and Bert Litman followed him. John Erhard, Pen Tuttle, and Dave Rivinus won the two-mile run for the Crimson. Erhard and Tuttle led the field by approximately 100 yards. Erhard's time was 9:49.6.

Dartmouth swept the 220 low hurdles. Harvard's Mason Fernald had a bad day; his old rivals Donovan and Watson of Dartmouth took him in the highs, and in the lows he lost his stride and fell back out of the scoring. Alex Northrop ran another good mile, winning the distance by 40 yards over Whitman of Dartmouth. His time was 4:20.

The Lightbody-Foster race was as tight as expected. Lightbody held a slight lead to the finish and won the race in 48.4 Foster of Dartmouth was second, with King of Harvard bringing up third in the good time of 49.1.

The Crimson Freshman team was highly victorious Saturday against Phillips Exeter at Exeter. Captain Campbell won the half mile easily in 2:01.2. Tom Lacey, former Exeter javelin thrower, won his event with 175 ft., 10 in. The mile was swept by Harvard runners Nichols, Baker, and McLaughlin. Both the broad jump and the high jump were swept by the Crimson. Bob Partlow won first in both. His broad jump was 22 ft., 8 in.