SEVEN SCHOOLS TO VIE IN AIR MEET AT HAMPTON FIELD

Harvard Ahead at Present Because of Win by Ripley O. Jones in Paper Strafing Contest

Seven Colleges will send representatives to the Eastern Intercollegiate Airmeet at Hampton Airport, Long Island, this Saturday and Sunday to compete for 15 awards and trophies given to leading contestants. This meet is a postponement of the contest of May 14 which met with adverse conditions.

Competing in a program of events which is somewhat altered from the original plan, the flyers will try their skill at sort landings, bomb dropping, and a novelty race that consists in the identification of landmarks. The paper strafing events which was the only one that was finished on the former date will stand as completed, announced Keith Davis '38, former president of the Harvard Flying Club and now Chairman of the N. E. I. F. C. which is sponsoring the contest.

Highlights in the program, will be Louis De Flores, World Champion Paper Strafer, who will given an exhibition of his art, and Frank Hawks, renowned pilot will demonstrate the new Gwinn Air Car which is an airplane with controls like an automobile.

Two members of the fair sex are to join in the competition in certain events on an equal footing with the men. They are Mollie Cummings of Vassar and Joan King of Stanford. This makes flying one of the sports where both men and women are put on the same competitive basis.

Harvard at present holds the lead in points with one win by Ripley O. Jones '38 in the paper strafing, he cut the paper streamer three times before it reached the ground. Six other Harvard aviators are slated for participation: Keith Davis, George Fox '38, Whedon Johnson '40, and David Hagedorn, Carl Wickstrom, and George Foote all yardlings this year.

Three different spot landing events will test th pilots' skill in handling his plane; in the 360 degree spot landing the pilot will have to make a complete circle from a low altitude and try to make his plane land as near to a line as possible. The 280 degree event will be from a lower altitude and be only a semicircle. Then comes the bullseye landing, where the pilot has to guide his plane to a landing on a spot.