CRIMSON CRUMPLES IN 13-5 BASEBALL DEFEAT

GANNET HOMER, RELIEF HURLING OF MAHONEY BRIGHT SPOTS

By Morris Earle

A pall hung over Soldiers Field Saturday. Rain Fell continually all afternoon, at times lightly, at time heavily. All things considered it was a gloomy day.

It was particularly gloomy during the fourth inning of a baseball game between Holy Cross and Harvard. In the course of this one semester the boys from Worcester scored nine runs with two out to make up the meat of their 13-5 defeat of the Crimson.

Cold statistics for the combination knockout and knifing given pitcher In-galls showed six hits for visitors and five errors for the home team during this one frame. To the spectators it all looked slightly like a circus.

Balls rained through the infield. Third baseman Grondahl played like a croquet wicket. Shortstop Johns ran back and forth like the Grand Central shuttle. First baseman Lupien alternately lay on his stomach and ran to the fence behind him in effort to corral a throw for the final out.

Aside from this fourth inning it was a pretty good game. Holy Cross scored their one earned run in the second innings, an unearned one in the sixth, and two more in the eighth.

Harvard earned a run in the fourth and four more in the next to last stanza. Gannett, Grondahl, and Hoye but together a single, a walk, and a single for the first tally, while Gannett's long home run down the left field foul line swept the bases at a latter date after three ringing one-base hits by Shean, Johns, and Lupien.

These batting spurts formed one of the two Harvard bright spots. The other was provided by the relief hurling of John Mahoney who followed Ingalls to the mound and allowed but three hits in four and a third innings. His slow curves had the Purple popping or grounding out weakly.

No Lefty Grove, Holy Cross pitcher Klarnick received sensational support all afternoon.