‘It’s a Limbo’: Grad Students, Frustrated by Harvard’s Response to Bullying Complaint, Petition for Reform

Community Groups Promote Vaccine Awareness Among Cambridge Residents of Color

Students Celebrate Upcoming Harvard-Yale Game at CEB Spirit Week

Harvard Epidemiologist Michael Mina Resigns, Appointed Chief Science Officer at eMed

Harvard Likely to Loosen Campus Covid Restrictions in the Spring, Garber Says

MAIL

To the Editor of the Crimson:

Within a week of the end of spring vacation, 1937, the Crimson editorialized to the effect that the Walsh-Sweezy case was closed. The case had broken out in the press during the vacation. There was a suggestion that University Hall had made up its mind,--that all was for the best.

In the Crimson of Thursday, June 2, 1938, immediately after the release of the report of the President's Special Committee, which had been considering this "closed" case for a year more or less, we are editorially informed that the milk is irrevocably spilt. At this late date--so runs the weighty pronouncement--it is not easy to forgive the Committee for declaring that Drs. Walsh and Sweezy should be reinstated.

Is the Crimson totally incapable of learning from experience? Or are the editors so enamoured of the adage that they take the "unjust" and "unwise" dismissal of two badly needed teachers to be a trivial but irremediable accident?

The case is closed and the Committee's suggestion is unforgivable if, and only if, it is unforgivable to attempt the sole possible reparation for demonstrated injustice and the sole possible correction of what must appear on the basis of the report to be a stubbornly misguided administrative policy.. Perhaps what is closed is the Crimson's editorial mind. The editorials themselves--but why worry? They are spilt milk now. Better duck next time! Paul P. Selvin '39,   William H. Glazier '39.