BLACKMAIL JOKESTERS HOAX APTED AND LEAHY

CITY POLICE CALLED ON HINT OF WOMAN RACKET

Colonel Charles R. Apted '06, Superintendent of Caretakers and head of the Yard Police, Chief Timothy Leahy of the Cambridge Police, and a student were the victims yesterday of a hoax involving the alleged blackmail of the undergraduate by a girl who signed her name, "Bev, the Clutch."

The student, a Lowell House Junior, received through the mall an extortion note accompanied by a picture of a disrobed female reposing on a bench. "Remember the Rivera or was it Revere?" was the salutation of the letter. The text of the missive was brief--"Five thousand dollars . . . . OR ELSE." The signature was simply "Bev, the clutch," a name feared by the student to be that of a notorious Harvard Square and Huntington Avenue blackmailer.

"I will fight this thing to the end," asserted the student, and promptly got in touch with Apted, giving him the letter and reluctantly parting with the photograph. The colonel, who has been kept busy of late tracking down the leader of the blackmail racker centering around the Yard, quickly seized what he