Hodder Follows Joe Stubbs, as Hockey Coach; Gives Plans for Coming Season

New Rink on Memorial Drice Is Expected to be Big Asset to Team

Continuing his policy of hiring year-round coaches, Athletic Director William J. Bingham '16 announced recently that Clark Hodder '25 had been appointed head coach of hockey for this year. Just before Hodder's appointment, Bingham had announced that the new baseball mentor, succeeding Fred Mitchell, would be Floyd Stahy, of Ohio State, who is now working under Harlow at football.

Hodder has been Freshman coach of hockey here for eight years, during which time he has ammassed the record of six Yale victories, and 185 won, 7 lost total. He replaces Joseph Stubbs '20, puckmen leader since 1927.

In the eleven years Stubbs had held the position his teams won 113 games as against 56 defeats. His best year was the 1936-37 season, when the Crimson sextet won 14 out of 16 encounters, their only two losses coming at the hands of McGill. Last year the team won seven games, lost ten, and tied two.

Ford May Get Assisting Post

Hodder's first problem will be the appointment of an assistant coach, George Ford '37, captain of the sextet two years ago and high-scoring center, looms as a likely assistant, although no announcement has been made as yet.

At present Hodder will continue as coach of the second Freshman Football team. In the spring the new hockey coach has charge of the golfers, who do their divot-digging at the Belmont Country Club.

New Skating Club Rink Big Asset

Hodder's first season will be a difficult one, since last year's team lost heavily by graduation. One great advantage for the new coach, however, is the building of the new rink on Memorial Drive. The rink is being constructed by the Boston Skating Club and is scheduled to he completed by December 1.

The foundation of the rink have alreayd been laid, and the sum of $115,000 has been raised. Whereas hitherto the Crimson hockey team has had to fight for time to practice at the Boston Arena, the new rink means that Hodder can have at least two hours of practice every afternoon. The rink ill seat about 3000, it is believed.

Conditioning to be Stressed

Interviewed yesterday afternoon, Hodder said that he planned to start practice about November 14, although the ice-inclined footballers will not be able to report until about the first of December. The first Varsity game is scheduled is with Boston University on December 20. During the Christmas recess Hodder hopes to take the team to Lake Placid for three games with Princeton.

"We will concentrate on conditioning, timing, and passing this year," Hodder said. Conditioning was held to be one of the weakest links of the Stubbs regime, and evidently the new coach will stress it.

Hodder also declared that he will supervise the Freshman hockey coaching himself in order to "build for the future." He admitted planning to keep large Varsity and Freshman squads, in view of the new ice facilities.GEORGE FORD '37 Rumored as Assistant