STUDENT COUNCIL $600 SHORT NOW AS COMPARED TO '37

Undergraduates Lacked Pocket Money; More Scholarships Hoped for This Year Than Last

Exactly $3,617.25 has been received from paid pledges to the Student Council, it was revealed last night by Council authorities. This is $600 short of the total received at this time last year.

Councilmen blamed the hurricane damage for causing many men extra travelling expenses and hence cutting down the cash in the pockets of those registering. Freshman registration on Friday netted only $1090 this year, as compared to nearly $2700 at last year's Yardling signing.

Saturday Also Meagre

Saturday was also a poor day, with only $750 coming into the coffers. Late Freshmen and an extra high percent of upperclassmen coming in sent Monday's money over the $1750 mark but still was not enough to equal the 1937 sum.

Backers of unpaid pledges and those who did not pledge but have now changed their mind will be welcomed at the Council office at Phillips Brooks House any time this week or next. If no Councilman is present, the P. B. H. secretary will transfer the money to the proper authorities.

More Scholarships This Year

Last year's Council treasurer, Caspar W. Weinberger '38 and 1L, announced in his final report last spring that, of the $6350 the Student Council received during the year, $2170 went to 41 undergraduate scholarships. This was nearly $600 more in money and 18 more in students than in the previous year. This year it is expected that the Council will cut running expenses even lower than last year, so that even more undergraduate stipends may be awarded. The first fall meeting of the 1938-39. Council is scheduled for Wednesday of next week.