UNKNOWN SOLDIER

It is a tribute to the smooth functioning of the University's administration that the Harvard Forest at Petersham, typical of the little-known parts of Harvard, has been placed before the public eye as a result of the recent hurricane, and has stood the test of public opinion with success. Both the fact that the University maintains the oldest experimental forest tract in America, and the fact that men like Ward Shepard '10 comprise its staff, cannot help but bring forth creditable comment from the public.

First the average newspaper reader is informed that Harvard owns 2300 acre tract of Woodland solely for the purpose of advancing knowledge of forestry and allied subjects; second, the layman may observe that Mr. Shepard, director of the Forest, an obscure unit dealing with what is almost a neglected science, has been the man the State has asked to step in and lead a committee to check possible conflagration in mid-state.

Harvard's leading educators long have basked in a favorable glow of publicity as they have distinguished themselves in academic, administrative, and political fields. It is therefore doubly to the University's credit that one of its minor departments should be brought into the limelight by a state-wide emergency, and that a specialist of Mr. Shepard's ability should be found directing an experimental station, the Forest potentially so great an asset to the state.