JUDICIAL HUMILITY

When Justice Harlan Stone remarked that "courts are not the only agency of government that must be assumed to have the capacity to govern," he not only provided invaluable raw material for the Court's most vocal critics, but also exposed in crystalline form a fundamental weakness in what was then the attitude of a majority of his colleagues. Reflection of his views, and a program for the future creation of a more tolerant sort of legal mind, are to be found in Dean Landis' most recent annual report.

Recognizing the importance to lawyers of a cultured background which might include such studies as economics, psychology, anthropology, and sociology, the Law Faculty and members of other University departments are seeking means of integrating these branches of knowledge into the teaching of law. According to Dean Landis' report, "intermittent contact" with such subjects is inadequate; a program of purposeful association with law is needed. The main benefit of this program, according to Dean Landis, will be an appreciation by lawyers of the necessity of harmonizing their skills with those of economists and sociologists in the processes of government.

Certainly it is true that as any man--lawyer, doctor, beggarman. Indian chief--enlarges the scope of his liberal education, he becomes more competent to serve society. But the lawyer is faced with such a complete cross-section of human activity that his need for a broad outlook is paramount. Casual undergraduate training in economic and sociological principles, which is often the full extent of a law school graduate's background, is not sufficient' nor is a mere smattering of psychology and government adequate for either a judge or a practicing barrister. And above all, success in the struggle for social and economic betterment will depend partly on the skill with which all the weapons in the progressive armory are used. In training lawyers to know their part in this fight, the Law School is performing a valuable service.