GRAPPLERS SEEK FIRST WIN IN TUFTS BATTLE

Johnson's Charges Favored Over Green Medford Mat Squad After Dropping Close One to Tigers

Pat Johnson's Varsity wrestlers resume their mat warfare this afternoon at four o'clock when they meet Tufts at Cousens Gymnasium with each squad seeking its initial victory of the season.

The Crimson matmen were disappointed after dropping a heart-breaking one point match to the Tigers Saturday, but not a bit discouraged over their prospects for the year. They will rule a favorite over inexperienced Tufts today, and Coach Pat Johnson is counting on his grapplers to turn in improved performances now that they have had their first taste of competition.

Minus the services of Captain Joe Sweeney, 145 pounder who is scholastically ineligible, Coach Sam Ruggeri optimistically in expects his Jumbos to score points in the 121 and 128 pound classes. In these two matches Captain Harvey Ross of Harvard is pitted against crosby Baker of Tufts, while 128 pound man for the Crimson, Ted Schoenberg meets George Edwards.

In the 136 pound class Al Richter of Harvard encounters sophomore George Tsolas of the home forces, and Bruce Richardson of the Crimson faces Charley Streeter in the 145. Bunny Barnes of Harvard draws another Sophomore for his opponent in the 155 pound division, as he faces Steve Putnam.

Bill Daughaday is a strong favorite to defeat his Jumbo opponent, Al Bennett, in the 165 bracket. Tudor Gardiner meets an unknown quantity, Charles Ciaffone, in the 175 pound bout.

As far as Tufts is concerned, the heavyweight match, which pits highly touted Ralph Sherry of the Jumbes against Chief Boston, is the feature attraction of the afternoon. Sherry, a Junior, made an outstanding record for himself last year as a Sophomore, and he is undoubtedly Coach Ruggeri's best prospect.