Bowditch Shows Need for Modern Teaching System

As First Speaker in W1XAL Series Dean Asks Parents to Work With University

In the first of a series of broadcasts sponsored by the University over radio station W1XAL and dealing with the various aspects of modern college life, Assistant Dean E. Francis Bowditch '35 said in his speech last Tuesday night, "The colleges must study our Twentieth Century civilization and find ways of teaching mankind how to live in the comparatively new world he has created."

He went on to state that "Parents and schools must place more faith in college officials and entrust them with confidential information" in order that "the work of personnel officers may be better done and that many cases of failure in college may be caught in the bud."

Bowditch dealt at length with the academic, social, and personal problems of the incoming Freshmen. He advised Freshmen to attempt to take courses in the Freshman year in "one or two of the fields in which he has developed an interest in School." He went on to say that the type of work in college courses was much different from that in preparatory school classes, and that it was the secondary school's job "to provide the student with the tools of learning."

"I am convinced," he said, "that the schools must sacrifice a certain amount of the ground now covered and devote more time to the teaching of note-taking, the handling of lecture material and long-range reading assignments. The students are not going to lie down on the job when they realize what the price may be: failure to get into college."