SWARTHMORE GIRL IS CHOSEN ASU PRESIDENT

CHAMBERS CHOSEN AS NATIONAL PUBLIC AFFAIRS CHAIRMAN

Twenty Harvard Student Union delegates attended the fourth annual convention of the American Student Union in New York last week, and five other members of the University were present as visitors.

Miss Molly Yard, graduate of Swarthmore College in 1933, was elected national chairman to succeed Robert E. Lane '39, while William N. Chambers '39, stole Harvard honors by his election as public affairs chairman. Both Lane and Avram S. Goldstein '40, however, were elected to the national executive committee of the Union, while Chambers automatically becomes a member through his election to the post of secretary.

Most important of the accomplishments of the Convention was the plan for a Student Roll Call of Democracy, which will be conducted within the next several weeks to "keep democracy working by making it serve human needs."

Chambers' work, which will start in June, will consist of carrying out organizational work inside the Union, cooperating with other organizations in their work, and in working to prepare for the political campaigns, especially those of 1940.

The conference approved the type of education of Bennington and Swarthmore involving more cooperation between faculty and students to create the type of school which each desires.