Undergraduate Faculty to Expand Enrollment Following Midyear Exams

Phillips Brooks House Group Will Give Further Aid to Boston High School Graduates

Owing to the large amount of interest that has been shown in its work thus far, the University's "Undergraduate Faculty" plan, under which fifty Boston boys have been working all fall with Harvard students as individual instructors, will be expanded after the midyear examinations to include twenty-five more high school graduates.

The "Undergraduate Faculty" was started by students last spring ao aid high school graduates financially unable to attend college. Almost a hundred undergraduates, most of them honor students, have volunteered to give one or two evenings a week to the informal teaching. Forty of the students form a waiting list which will be matched with the twenty-five new tutees to be selected.

Boston boys applying for the instruction are asked about their chief interests, and are assigned to tutors working in these fields. All the work is informal, in the university students' rooms. The studies do not count toward college degrees, but are intended to assist the tutees in business, or in keeping up school work until they can go to college.

University Facilities Used

Under a new arrangement, a few tutees who have shown exceptional promise will be given scholarships at the University Extension evening courses at Harvard and other greater Boston colleges.

Tutees are encouraged to attend public lectures, visit museums, and use college library facilities. Those studying biology, physics, chemistry, and other sciences, have received permission to observe in the laboratories. Thus the students are familiarized with college opportunities and activities.

Through the cooperation of Phillips Brooks House, vocational guidance tests and advice on college requirements are made available.

Linking the tutees informally to the regular Harvard instructors is the formation of conferences groups in History, Economics, and English composition, under the guidance of Daniel Aaron, Lloyd G. Reynolds, and Kenneth Kempton, of the Harvard staff. Undergraduate tutors and tutees working in these fields meet with the instructors once a month for general discussions.

Application Requirements

Applications to the Undergraduate Faculty should include: a list of the applicant's preference of three subjects for study; name of school and date of graduation; and scholastic record in the senior year of high school.