INTER-HOUSE DEBATING COMPLETELY CHANGED

TROPHY TO BE GIVEN TO WINNING HOUSE AT END OF TERM

Inter-House debating has undergone complete reorganization for the purpose of making speaking from the public platform available to more undergraduates, Stanley O. Beren 41, Chairman of the Inter-House Debating Council announced yesterday.

Trials for the House debating teams will take place Friday evening at 7:30 o'clock in each of the House common rooms, while a special meeting for out of-House men and commuters will be held at the same time in Dudley Hall.

Each participant in the coming tryouts will deliver a three-minute speech on one of the following topics: (1) "Resolved: That the United States embargo on shipment on shipment of arms to belligerent nations should be repealed: (2) "Resolved: That the Ludlow Amendment should Impose censorship on all communications in the interest of American welfare."

Trophy Cup to Winner

The new plan provides for an inter-House debating council of eight men, who are to arrange 16 debates between the Houses this semester. At the end of the semester the team which has won the most decisions will be awarded a sil ver trophy cup.

"As a result of this reorganization." Beren pointed out, "more debates are being planned than at any time in the past, and participants will have more adequate opportunities to voice their opinions and bring back glory to the Houses."

This year's Inter-House Debating Council will consist of the following students: Richard S. Lane '41, Kirkland House; Payson L. Wolff '42, Lowell; David D. Wells '41, Leverett; John F. Ambrose '41, Adams; Frank B. Jourdan '41, Winthrop; Regnar E. Bird '41, Eliot; Richard B. Wolf '41, Dunster; and Oliver S. Oldman '42, for out-of-House men