GERMAN CLUB ISSUES STATEMENT OF POLICY

Group Places Emphasis on "Cultural And Spiritual Traits That Abide in German People"

Calling the events of the Nazi regime "more lurid than lasting," a German Club statement issued yesterday emphasized the real worth of German culture, and defined the policy and purpose of the Club in view of the present European situation.

At the same time it was announced that Dr. Friedrich Bell, lecturer in German Literature, will deliver a humorous address at the first meeting tonight at 7:45 o'clock in the Lowell House Tower Room.

Text of Statement

The text of the German Club's statement follows:

"The concern of the German Club of Harvard University is with cultural and spiritual traits that abide in the German people in their great musical, literary, scientific, and philosophic successes. The Club is not blind to the less glorious periods of German history, for its purpose is to understand the entire German and the whole Germany.

Pre-Nazi Germany Stressed

"However, through the selection of insignia, procedure, songs, and topics for discussion, the emphasis of the Club meetings is on those things that are abiding, rather than on forces and events more lurid than lasting. The German Club seeks to recreate in America the spirit and fellowship of German student life before 1933.

"In the Club's activities, men are brought into personal, rather than purely academic contact with the intellectual and spiritual life of a people. It is hoped that such study and such experience will render members more able to form judgments for their times and their lives."