Authority on Russia Claims England, France Antagonized Stalin by Munich Pact, Misunderstood Russian Nationalism

Timasheff Says Hitler Enraged By Poles' Refusal of Plan For Dividing Ukraine

Interviewed in his Emerson Hall study yesterday, Nicholas S. Timasheff, Lecturer in Sociology and former Professor at the Franco-Russian Institute of Political Science in Paris, stated that Anglo-French policy threw Russia inevitably into the arms of Germany.

"In my opinion" he said, "the events of September, 1938, at Munich, resulted in a terribly suspicious attitude of the Soviet rulers towards England and France. Governing circles in Moscow felt that Russia was actually given over to Hitler as an object for further annexation."

Authority on Russia

Timasheff, who was born in 1886 at St. Petersburg, is an eminent authority on Russia. He taught social jurisprudence there in 1916, leaving in 1921 because of the political upheaval. Until 1928 he was professor of Criminology in Prague.

Then he transferred to Paris and was invited in '36 to become visiting lecturer in Sociology at Harvard. He still holds the title of "Visiting Lecturer."

Characterizing the present European puzzle as a "game of skilled politicians," Timasheff believes that in settling the Czechoslovakian problem, Great Britain and France gave Hitler a free hand in Russia. "Hitler was sure Poland would agree to a plan for lopping off part of the Ukraine and dividing the spoils. Germany would get Danzig and part of the Corridor in addition to part to the Ukraine which would be split between the two countries.

Poles Refused

"But the Poles refused, knowing very well that if they took part in such a plan they would soon become vassals of Germany. This infuriated Hitler who saw his plans in the East were stopped."

From the beginning the Angle-Russian consultations were based on great misunderstandings according to Timasheff. In the Moscow talks Russia simply asked for occupation of parts of Poland where Ukranians and Ruthenians were in the majority.

The English did not realize the great national sentiment which had recently arisen in Russia in connection with their lost provinces.

Hitler Breaks Deadlock

"This natural deadlock in all talks was skillfully used by Hitler who offered to give Russia her much-desired lost provinces in return for her aid."

Professor Timasheff believes that the present situation is quite stable, as far as Russia gains in Poland are concerned. But he is convinced that if Germany succeeds in defeating England and France, she will attack Russia.

He believes that a definite victory for Hitler would be quite dangerous for Stalin, and, therefore, he does not expect Russia to lend much serious assistance to Germany.

Timasheff calls Germany's Baltic concessions "incredible." Repatriation of Germans in the Baltic States means that Germany has given these countries to Russia forever instead of using them as stepping stones for further agression.