HONORS MEN RETAIN STEADY PERCENTAGE

Chemistry Department Leads Others As Some Fields Show Increases Over Last Year's Figures

The number of honors candidates approved by the thirty-one fields of concentration has remained comparatively steady this year with 47 per cent of the 2,664 concentrators working for honors, the Records Office announced yesterday.

The percentage of honors candidates has risen slightly above, last year's. This fall's 47 per cent figure, however, is the highest since the adoption of Plan B tutorial.

Large Increases in Some Field

Although no definite trend is revealed by the honors figures, large increases in the number of honors candidates approved are revealed in several departments. The rise in the number of honors candidates is, however, lagging behind the increase in the number of Plan A tutorial students.

Among the departments that have accepted a larger number of honors students this year are: Chemistry with 65 per cent out for honors, German 52 per cent, Government 45 per cent, History 43 per cent, Literature 74 per cent, Mathematics 76 per cent, Sociology 46 per cent, and Semitic Languages 100 per cent.

The largest decrease in the number of honors candidates has been in the English Department which now has only 33 per cent of its concentrators out for honors, with Music, Astronomy, and Classics losing ground.