Varsity Backfield Revamped as Spreyer Is Sent to Tailback Job

Hallett, Macdonald Ready to Play Limited Roles Against Princeton

By Donald Peddle

A drastic reshuffling of the varsity backfield was in progress yesterday afternoon in football practice as George Heiden was moved into the bucking back spot; Charley Spreyer was put into the tailback job; and Frannie Lee became Joe Gardella's understudy at wingback.

Dick Harlow didn't have any triple threat aces up his sleeve to use in the new deal, but the new hand he has drawn may be a little stronger. Good enough to try and call the Princeton bluff anyway.

Something had to be done after the futile Harvard attempts to pierce the Dartmouth forward wall, and since the Crimson mentor used the best available men Saturday, the only answer was a switching of positions.

Reasons For Changes

The reasons for most of the changes are fairly obvious. George Heiden excels as blocker and is undoubtedly the best line bucker on the squad. Charley Spreyer's kicking actually been Harvard's best offensive weapon to date, and his presence in the lineup is essential. In addition, with Macdonald sidelined or ready only for limited service, Spreyer is the nearest Crimson approach to a triple threat back. In yesterday's practice, the Sophomore booting expert put on a very pleasing passing exhibition.

Lee's weakness in passing robbed the Harlow tailback spot of much of its threat to Dartmouth, and he should be more at home at wingback. Cliff Helman, up from the Jayvees, is in line for a Red shirt soon, because right now he stacks up as the best passer on the squad. The 180 pound Junior may develop into a good backfield prospect if he can improve in the other departments of his play. Another aerial possibility. Bob James, is a bit too slow for the tailback role.

Two of the three Crimson casuals, Captain Torbie Macdonald and Mose Hallett, will be ready for limited play against the Tigers on Saturday. Macdonald will probably be used as a spot runner to put more punch in the attack at crucial moments. The third injured man, Joe Koufman, is definitely lost for the Princeton tilt with a leg bump received against the Indians. Yesterday Joe Devine replaced him in the A team, and Gene Lovett was shoved down to the second eleven.