English Department Courses Lead in Total Enrollment Figures in College

Chemistry, Biology, Physics, and Mathematics Compose Second Largest Group

Harvard students are more interested in their own language and literature than any other subject in which courses are offered by the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, according to the enrollment figures released by University Hall yesterday.

The figures show that a total of 2,353 students are taking individual courses in the English Department. This number is larger by about six hundred than its nearest competitor, History, which has 1,750 students enrolled in its courses.

Social Sciences Lead

The social sciences' "Big Three," History, Government and Economics, again have the largest number of people taking courses in any field excepting English.

The Economics Department has 1,419 men enrolled, Government has slightly fewer with 1,312. This emphasis on the social sciences is not unusual, because more students concentrate in these related fields than in any other; students in the other fields usually take some courses in the social sciences as distribution thereby increasing enrollment in these courses.

Language Courses Popular

Outside the social sciences, modern languages and the pure sciences have the largest number of followers. The French Department has a total of 1,143. The German Department has dropped below the thousand mark with 719.

In the pure sciences Chemistry leads with 798. The total number of students in Mathematics is 754, Biology 681, and Physics 661.