Crimson's Four Boards Hold Tryouts; News, Business, Photography for 1943

Editorial Competition Only For Sophomores In Contests Starting Tuesday

The CRIMSON announces that Fall competitions for the News, Business, Editorial, and Photographic Boards will start with a preliminary meeting on Tuesday at 7:30 o'clock at the CRIMSON Building on 14 Plympton Street.

Candidates for the News Board will be accepted from the Freshman Class only, while the Editorial Board tryouts are open only to Sophomores. The Business and Photographic Boards will accept candidates from both the Freshman and Sophomore Classes.

Experience Not Required

Yardlings who have, as schoolboys, indulged in extensive publication activity will find the CRIMSON a welcome extension of their interests into the field of college journalism. On the other hand, Freshmen who have never before written a newspaper story are just as welcome.

Business candidates are offered a unique chance to learn all about the practical side of a daily paper. Men interested in finance as a career will find a fascinating outlet for their ambitions in CRIMSON business work, an outlet that will provide them with a sound knowledge of the fundamentals of commercial relations. Advertising, copy-writing, and the handling and development of personal business contacts are only a few of the problems mastered by candidates in this department.

Variety in Writing for Editorial Board

The Editorial competition is restricted to Sophomores because it is felt that only these men who have been at Harvard over a year can successfully approach and write on subjects dealing with University, national, and international policies. All types of writing opportunities are open--Vagabonds, movie and play reviews, light or scholarly editorials, book reviews, and the like are among the variety of articles used in the second-page columns.

Photographic work should appeal to the numerous camera fans in '42 and '43. A complete darkroom in the building is available for any type of in the building is available for any tube of picture processing and candidates are assigned to take everything from ordinary posed how to "scoop" photography. In addition, a thorough training in the technique of photography is available for men who have never before held a comera.